Cristian Fernandez and Dr Lee Herrington – Injury Rehab Network CPD Event at UA92
Knee Injuries in Professional Football and Elite Sport
Sterosport and Football Fitness Federation are pleased to be working together to bring a unique CPD event to football fitness and sports rehabilitation professionals. Taking place at UA92 in Manchester on 27th April from 5.30pm – 8.30pm. The event will feature presentations from expert guest speakers Cristian Fernandez and Dr Lee Herrington – click here to register.
Expert Guest Speakers
Cristian Fernández, Rehab Fitness Coach
Cristian Fernández is currently working as a consultant in injury prevention and rehabilitation in football. Cristian has worked in professional football as a Rehab Fitness Coach at Everton FC, Newcastle FC, Hull City AFC and Northampton Town FC.
Cristian’s education has focused on physical activity and injury prevention including:
- MSc Injury Prevention and Rehabilitation in Football. RFEF – Royal Spanish Football Federation. 2015,
- MSc Research in Physical Activity, Sport and Health (2011. University of Vigo)
- Degree in Sport Science (2010, University of A Coruña)
Cristian is a lecturer in Injury Prevention and Rehabilitation in Football with the Spanish Fitness Coaches Association and Royal Madrid Football Federation where he speaks about the following subjects:
- “Treatment and management of chronic injuries in football”
- “De-training and conditioning during the rehabilitation process”
- “Rehabilitation in Acute Muscle Injuries: Groin”.
Return to play after Patellofemoral Cartilage Injury (case study)
Cristian’s presentation will provide a case study about return to play following knee cartilage injury.
Articular cartilage injury is observed with increasing frequency in football, being one of the most frequently injured structures of the knee. Furthermore, it is known as one of the most important cause of functional disability and can lead to early degenerative changes in the knee joint during and after the player’s career.
In this presentation, the main contents and progression criteria will be exposed, as well as the main aspects to take into account during the rehabilitation and RTP of a patellar cartilage injury.
Dr Lee Herrington, University of Salford
Dr Lee Herrington @leehphysio, Physiotherapist and Senior Lecturer in Sports Rehabilitation, Salford University; programme leader for the MSc Sports Injury Rehabilitation course. Lee is a Technical Lead Physiotherapist with the English Institute of Sport, leading on issues related to lower limb injury rehabilitation across all the Olympic & Paralympic sports. Dr Herrington also acts as a consultant physiotherapist to Premiership & Championship Football and Rugby Union clubs.
Lee worked as part of the Team GB medical team at London 2012 and Rio 2016 Olympic Games and has previously worked with British Swimming, Great Britain Basketball Team, Wigan Warriors and Great Britain Rugby League teams along with England Table Tennis and Netball.
Lee is the lead Clinical Researcher in the Knee Biomechanics and Injury research programme at Salford University. Specific research interests are anterior knee pain and rehabilitation following knee surgery (principally ACLR) and Lee has published over 200 peer-reviewed papers. Lee is the editor in chief of Physical Therapy in Sport and on the editorial board of The Knee Journal and Journal of Sports Rehabilitation.
Its not all about ball work; early-stage rehab for knee injuries
Dr Lee Herrington’s presentation will consider early-stage rehab for knee injuries. A great deal of emphasis is put on late-stage & return to sports player rehabilitation after knee injuries, but this is likely to be sub-optimal unless it has built a strong foundation of tissue resilience and physical qualities required.
This talk will discuss the key elements of early-stage rehabilitation required to build tissue resilience and develop the physical qualities required to move into more sport-specific training. Specifically covering: how to monitor & develop tissue load tolerance; pillars of rehabilitation including the development of maximum force & force-velocity, load acceptance & the ability to decelerate, along with early movement skill development.
This in-person event, taking place at UA92 in Manchester, is being delivered in partnership with the Football Fitness Federation. Taking place on Wednesday 27th April from 5.30pm – 8.30pm. The agenda for the event is as follows:
- 5.30pm Arrival
- 5.40pm Welcome & networking task
- 6pm Presentation 1 – Cristian Fernández
- 7pm Break
- 7.15pm Presentation 2 – Dr Lee Herrington
- 8.15pm Networking
- 8.30pm Close
Book Your Place – click here to register
- Date – Wednesday 27th April 2022
- Time – 5.30pm – 8.30pm
- Cost – £30 per person/ £20 early bird
- Location – UA92, Manchester
- Sign up – click here to register
For more information on the Injury Rehab Network click here.
The Next Event of the Injury Rehab Network
The next event of the Injury Rehab Network in partnership with the Football Fitness Federation will take place at UA92 in Manchester on Wednesday 27th April 2022 from 5.30pm – 8.30pm. Anyone professionally involved with sporting fitness, performance and rehabilitation from injury is welcome to attend. Places are limited and cost just £30 per person (early bird rate of £20 available), so they will be allocated on a first-come-first-served basis. To reserve a place, just sign up with the Football Fitness Federation – click here to register
There is even a LinkedIn group for the Injury Rehab Network where the latest updates and information are shared: Injury Rehab Network NW
About the Football Fitness Federation
Football Fitness Federation was created in 2014 to provide a platform for coaches to grow their network and access the latest football fitness information. The Football Fitness Online community provides an online platform for practitioners to join and interact with fellow members & improve their job opportunities. Football Fitness Federation have also run numerous networking events across the UK from Celtic Park to Brighton & Hove Albion. All presentations from the FFF events are uploaded to the online community for members to watch.
You can check out the online community and all upcoming events at www.footballfitfed.com or follow FFF on twitter or Instagram @FootballFitFed
University Academy 92 (UA92) is a deliberately different higher education experience co-founded by Manchester United’s legendary Class of 92 and academic pioneers, Lancaster University. Based in Manchester, UA92 prepares its students for the world of work by offering industry-led courses that have character and personal development at the core.
All UA92 graduates leave with a top-quality, Lancaster University degree after studying within our unique academic model in Manchester. Together, our straightforward timetable, small class sizes and industry connections provide an exceptional student experience. Our students regularly attend industry insight days, network with reputable guest lecturers and industry leaders, while receiving bespoke opportunities to apply their knowledge across a range of professional settings. They also benefit from their own personal coach to support them throughout their studies.
UA92 currently delivers courses across Sports, Business, Media and Digital. The UA92 Sports department currently offers Sports and Exercise Science and Physical Education courses, with its first cohort of Sports Coaching students starting in September 2022.
It’s safe to say UA92 and its Sports department in particular, are rapidly growing.
Get in Touch with UA92
If you would like to explore potential guest lecturing or collaboration opportunities with the UA92 Sports department, contact our Course Leader and Senior Tutor, Dr. Eoin Murray at: firstname.lastname@example.org or come and have a chat on 27th April.
We look forward to welcoming you to our campus and hope you enjoy your visit.
Please enter your details into the form below along with any questions or comments and a member of our team will be happy to provide you with more information:
Get in Touch
- Treatment and Prevention of Cauliflower Ear
- How to Treat Common Rugby Injuries
- Rugby First Aid Courses: Everything you Need to Know
- The Definitive Rugby First Aid Kit Contents List
- Taping Your Wrists for Football: Why and How
- Effective Prevention of Injuries in Football
- How to Treat Common Football Injuries
- Rugby First Aid Kits: Complete Guidance for Rugby Union and Rugby League
- Knee Injuries in Professional Football and Elite Sport – Injury Rehab Network Event
- Steve Kemp – Lateral Ankle Injuries in Professional Football – Injury Rehab Network Event
- Michael Blackie BDS – Oral Health Impact on Performance in Elite Sport
- The Best Football First Aid Courses Recommended by Experts – Courses your coaches should be taking and why
- Football First Aid Kit Contents List – What should yours contain to keep your football players safe?
- Boxing First Aid Kit Contents List
- Preventing and Treating Shin Splints
- 8 Essential Safety Tips for Boxing
- How to Apply Boxing Hand and Wrist Wraps
- Essential Boxing Safety Equipment
- How to Spot and Treat an ACL Tear
- How to Treat a Pulled Hamstring
- How to Treat a Groin Strain
- How to Treat a Sprained Ankle
- Essential Parts of Any Sports First Aid Kit
- Recommended First Aid Courses for Sport
- Essential First Aid Skills for Cyclists
- Cycling First Aid Kit Contents List
- Cycling First Aid Kits – A Complete Guide
- Mike Healy – Pitchside Care CPD – Injury Rehab Network Event
- David Fevre – Pitch Side Injuries: No Time to be Injured – Injury Rehab Network Event
- Diane Ryding – Physiotherapy in an Elite Football Academy: Beyond injuries – Injury Rehab Network Event
- The Strain of Christmas – A Busy Time for Physio’s
- Dr Imtiaz Ahmad: Football Club Doctor – An Evolving Role – Injury Rehab Network Event
- Diane Ryding & David Fevre at the Injury Rehab Network
- GB Maxibasketball and Sterosport Partnership Announcement
- Sterosport and FMPA Partnership Announcement
- 2022 Injury Rehab Network Events
- Dr Ian Horsley, Team GB Deputy Chief Physio, at the Injury Rehab Network
- Sign Up: Sports Taping and Kinesiology Taping Online Courses
- Dr Barry Monk – Sunshine and Skin Cancer – Injury Rehab Network Event
- Steve Miller – Calf Injury Rehabilitation – Injury Rehab Network Event
- Angela Jackson – Managing The Overloaded Younger Athlete – Injury Rehab Network Event
- Shoulder Injuries in Sport – Expert Q&A Injury Rehab Network Event
- Professor Bill Ribbans – The Athletic Ankle. When do Lax Ligaments Need Surgery? – Injury Rehab Network
- Diane Ryding – Tackling Paediatric Injuries – Injury Rehab Network
- What are the most common sports injuries? Top Ten (Part 2)
- What are the most common sports injuries? Top Ten (Part 1)
- The Athletes Shoulder – The Surgeons Perspective – Injury Rehab Network Event
- Dr Claire Minshull – Getting Efficacious About Rehab and Conditioning – Injury Rehab Network Event
- How to Conduct a Risk Assessment for the Return to Sport
- Return to sport: A complete guide on what to expect
- Types of Sports Tape and their Uses
- Gary Lewin, Expert Football Physiotherapist – Rehabilitation on the Road in Elite Sport – Injury Rehab Network Event
- Josh Quigley at the Injury Rehab Network
- 2021 Injury Rehab Network Events
- The Importance of the Partnership Between a Manager and a Physio
- Paul Lubas – The Pitch-Side Paramedic
- Returning to Work as a Sports Therapist After Coronavirus
- Hyde United FC and Sterosport Partnership Announcement
- Chorley FC and Sterosport Partnership Announcement
- British American Football and Sterosport Partnership Announcement
- Dave Fevre – Expert Chartered Sports Physiotherapist – Injury Rehab Network Event
- Does Kinesiology Tape Work?
- Here To Help When You Return To Sport
- Mike James at the Injury Rehab Network
- Hannah Dines Shares Details About Her Paralympic Cycling Programme
- Hannah Dines – Hills Thrills and No Chills on the Road to Tokyo 2020
- Dave Fevre at the Injury Rehab Network
- Hannah Dines – When an Athlete Switches Off
- Hannah Dines – Life Balance – How Friends Are Key to Elite Success
- University of Salford Sports Taping Courses
- Hannah Dines – Love Island, Laundry, Admin and Repeat – A Day in the Life of a Paralympian
- Injured? Here’s How Nutrition Can Help
- Sterosport – A New Approach to Sports Injuries
- Hannah Dines – Terminating Injury
- Injury Rehab Network NW Gets off to a Flying Start