Michael Blackie BDS the Park Practice – Injury Rehab Network Event
Oral Health Impact on Performance in Elite Sport
Michael started The Park Practice in late 1999. Having always had strong sporting interests, which were based around rugby, Michael realised the impact dental health can have on sporting performance. Over the last 10 years, Michael has developed a strong interest in the impact oral health can have on elite sporting performance.
Michael was involved at London 2012 Olympics, working “pitchside” at the contact sports. Mainly taekwondo, boxing, judo, and fencing, Michael also worked at the rugby sevens at the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games.
The Park Practice is the official dentist for Team Scotland and provided an oral health toolkit for all athletes before the Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast.
Since 2018 the Park Practice has had a contract with Glasgow Warriors professional rugby team, providing an emergency service whenever required and part of the pitchside medical team for every home match. As well as providing bespoke mouthguards for the squad.
Glasgow Rocks, who are Scotland’s representatives in the BBL professional basketball league, also work with The Park Practice, with their players being the first team to wear mouthguards when playing.
Sport Scotland refer athletes needing emergency treatment to The Park Practice and Michael has helped athletes from a whole range of sports, from curling to badminton and recently Olympic swimmers.
This free online event for anyone studying or working in the field of sports rehabilitation is taking place on Thursday 3rd March 2022 at 7 pm. Sterosport are delighted to deliver this and all Injury Rehab Network events in collaboration with the British Association of Sport Rehabilitators (BASRaT)
Oral Health and Elite Sport
Michael’s presentation, “Oral Health Impact on Performance in Elite Sport” will discuss how the oral health of elite athletes can be a cause for concern and the impact it can have on sporting performance.
The presentation will look at:
- Causes of poor oral health and why it is more prevalent in elite athletes.
- “Dental Facts” areas of oral health that athletes should be aware of.
- Real-life examples of how oral health issues impact training and performance across a range of sports.
- Prevention is the name of the game. How can we educate athletes that simple prevention factors will preclude oral health issues from impacting their success?
Book Your Free Place – Click here to register
- Date – Thursday 3rd March 2022
- Time – 7pm
- Location – Online (Zoom)
- Sign up – Register for free
Please enter your details into the form below along with any questions or comments and a member of our team will be happy to provide you with more information:
Get in Touch
- Treatment and Prevention of Cauliflower Ear
- How to Treat Common Rugby Injuries
- Rugby First Aid Courses: Everything you Need to Know
- The Definitive Rugby First Aid Kit Contents List
- Taping Your Wrists for Football: Why and How
- Effective Prevention of Injuries in Football
- How to Treat Common Football Injuries
- Rugby First Aid Kits: Complete Guidance for Rugby Union and Rugby League
- Knee Injuries in Professional Football and Elite Sport – Injury Rehab Network Event
- Steve Kemp – Lateral Ankle Injuries in Professional Football – Injury Rehab Network Event
- Michael Blackie BDS – Oral Health Impact on Performance in Elite Sport
- The Best Football First Aid Courses Recommended by Experts – Courses your coaches should be taking and why
- Football First Aid Kit Contents List – What should yours contain to keep your football players safe?
- Boxing First Aid Kit Contents List
- Preventing and Treating Shin Splints
- 8 Essential Safety Tips for Boxing
- How to Apply Boxing Hand and Wrist Wraps
- Essential Boxing Safety Equipment
- How to Spot and Treat an ACL Tear
- How to Treat a Pulled Hamstring
- How to Treat a Groin Strain
- How to Treat a Sprained Ankle
- Essential Parts of Any Sports First Aid Kit
- Recommended First Aid Courses for Sport
- Essential First Aid Skills for Cyclists
- Cycling First Aid Kit Contents List
- Cycling First Aid Kits – A Complete Guide
- Mike Healy – Pitchside Care CPD – Injury Rehab Network Event
- David Fevre – Pitch Side Injuries: No Time to be Injured – Injury Rehab Network Event
- Diane Ryding – Physiotherapy in an Elite Football Academy: Beyond injuries – Injury Rehab Network Event
- The Strain of Christmas – A Busy Time for Physio’s
- Dr Imtiaz Ahmad: Football Club Doctor – An Evolving Role – Injury Rehab Network Event
- Diane Ryding & David Fevre at the Injury Rehab Network
- GB Maxibasketball and Sterosport Partnership Announcement
- Sterosport and FMPA Partnership Announcement
- 2022 Injury Rehab Network Events
- Dr Ian Horsley, Team GB Deputy Chief Physio, at the Injury Rehab Network
- Sign Up: Sports Taping and Kinesiology Taping Online Courses
- Dr Barry Monk – Sunshine and Skin Cancer – Injury Rehab Network Event
- Steve Miller – Calf Injury Rehabilitation – Injury Rehab Network Event
- Angela Jackson – Managing The Overloaded Younger Athlete – Injury Rehab Network Event
- Shoulder Injuries in Sport – Expert Q&A Injury Rehab Network Event
- Professor Bill Ribbans – The Athletic Ankle. When do Lax Ligaments Need Surgery? – Injury Rehab Network
- Diane Ryding – Tackling Paediatric Injuries – Injury Rehab Network
- What are the most common sports injuries? Top Ten (Part 2)
- What are the most common sports injuries? Top Ten (Part 1)
- The Athletes Shoulder – The Surgeons Perspective – Injury Rehab Network Event
- Dr Claire Minshull – Getting Efficacious About Rehab and Conditioning – Injury Rehab Network Event
- How to Conduct a Risk Assessment for the Return to Sport
- Return to sport: A complete guide on what to expect
- Types of Sports Tape and their Uses
- Gary Lewin, Expert Football Physiotherapist – Rehabilitation on the Road in Elite Sport – Injury Rehab Network Event
- Josh Quigley at the Injury Rehab Network
- 2021 Injury Rehab Network Events
- The Importance of the Partnership Between a Manager and a Physio
- Paul Lubas – The Pitch-Side Paramedic
- Returning to Work as a Sports Therapist After Coronavirus
- Hyde United FC and Sterosport Partnership Announcement
- Chorley FC and Sterosport Partnership Announcement
- British American Football and Sterosport Partnership Announcement
- Dave Fevre – Expert Chartered Sports Physiotherapist – Injury Rehab Network Event
- Does Kinesiology Tape Work?
- Here To Help When You Return To Sport
- Mike James at the Injury Rehab Network
- Hannah Dines Shares Details About Her Paralympic Cycling Programme
- Hannah Dines – Hills Thrills and No Chills on the Road to Tokyo 2020
- Dave Fevre at the Injury Rehab Network
- Hannah Dines – When an Athlete Switches Off
- Hannah Dines – Life Balance – How Friends Are Key to Elite Success
- University of Salford Sports Taping Courses
- Hannah Dines – Love Island, Laundry, Admin and Repeat – A Day in the Life of a Paralympian
- Injured? Here’s How Nutrition Can Help
- Sterosport – A New Approach to Sports Injuries
- Hannah Dines – Terminating Injury
- Injury Rehab Network NW Gets off to a Flying Start